
Toward the middle of June we received a funny bit of mail from our Bramwells. Inside was two tri-fold brochures advertising vacation spots.... Backstory-- we made them similar ads for all the random day hikes and adventures we went on with them while they lived here. The first ad was for Park City. Inside "BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!" Well that describes us just fine. We are generally content to vacation vicariously, hearing the tales and seeing the footage of others. Our kids think that a hotel in Park City is the best vacation on the earth, until... cue second brochure. It featured an unlimited stay in the Bramwell Hotel and various Southern California attractions.
When our boys saw Legoland featured, well there was no turning back. There is simply nothing that gets Noah's heart a flutter like Legos. Caitlyn picked out Disneyland because she's on to the fact that all the "princesses actually really live there mom." It wasn't too hard to turn her attention to whales and dolphins and SeaWorld went into the agenda instead of Disneyland.
Don't be too shocked when we didn't politely say no thank you as our past behaviors would indicate. I guess we got a little excited too. Before you know it we have shocked Kyle and Julie by calling to plan dates. Once the kids got wind of the plans we had to enforce a new family rule: No talking about the vacation except at lunch or dinner. I am positive that Noah dreamed Legoland because I haven't seen him so quiet-- he had nothing to say that didn't relate to the vacation.
Here are a few stats on the drive:
3 kids, 2 adults, one 5 person sedan
10 1/2 hours
3 Stops
692 miles
26.6 gallons of unleaded gas
1 GPS named Molly who navigated, but reminded us "to remain on the current road" a little too often.
ZERO whining, complaining, fighting or even asking when we'd be there.
WHO are these children? They fight just driving 15 minutes. I guess they know us too well. Can't act up and risk getting Legoland stricken from the record.
one mom, raised on the grid system, driving in the spaghetti mess of the California highway system; white-knuckled.
one dad who turned right back into a California driver, managing with the greatest of ease.
7 comments:
Hope you had a great time. If you ever want to visit us you are always welcome and you can tell Noah that they are building the largest LEGO store in a huge mall just 45 mins. from our house. You can check it out at www.meadowlandsxanadu.com
YAY!!! And when will we get to see pictures? I can't believe the drive went so well. 3 stops? seriously, that's it? You must not have been drinking caffeine! I miss you. Let's hit walmart soon!
:0)
Oh no, you're not getting off THAT easily! I've waited this long for a post, now I wanna see me some PICTURES!!!
Seriously, that is so cute. Your kids are precious.
And unless you convince yourself that you're driving a spacecar in the future, California driving is just too frustrating. Space driving is FUN.
It sounds like so much fun. I'm glad you went. And, may I just say, I LOVE your writing style on this post. It must be the teacher in me. I can imagine a GREAT writer's workshop lesson. :)
Ahh, but you left one out...
4 Bramwells (and many others) who had the best time ever and are now going through Macedone-withdrawals.
Love you guys!!
Yes, where are the pictures! Glad that our Owen isn't the only kid obsessed with Legos!
YYYAAAAAYYYY!! That a fun fun FUN trip! I can't wait to hear details! And I'm going to have to remember your little "no talking about the vacation except at lunch and dinner". Brilliant!
Post a Comment